Ok, I couldn’t resist. Last night, during our cool down at Boot Camp, our teacher played the song Peaches by the Presidents of the United States of America. I haven’t been able to get it out of my head since and I also craved peaches since hearing the song. All I had to satisfy my craving was a can of Dole All Natural peaches in the pantry, so I packed that up for lunch today. The band’s name is perfect for voting day, even though we’re not voting for President today, but for Senate, Governor, etc.
Breakfast was Kashi Island Vanilla with coffee.
South Indian Pumpkin Soup
- 1 tsp vegetable oil
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 1 can pumpkin puree
- 2 cups reduced-sodium vegetable broth or stock
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 1″ ginger, peeled and minced
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat coconut milk
- toasted pumpkin seeds for garnish (optional)
1) In a heavy saucepan, heat oil over medium-low heat. Stir in garlic, ginger and curry powder and cook for 1 minute, until fragrant.
2) Add vegetable stock/broth and coconut milk and turn heat to medium. Stir in pumpkin puree and orange juice, breaking up any clumps with a long-handled spoon.
3) Stir soup occasionally until heated through, about 5 minutes. Take soup off the heat and stir in salt, nutmeg and red pepper; taste for seasoning. Garnish bowls of soup with toasted pumpkin seeds (optional).
Nutritional content (per serving):
Calories: 34, Total fat: 1g, Cholesterol: 0mg, Sodium: 146mg, Carbs: 6g, Fiber: 2g, Sugar: 3g, Protein: 2g
The littlest things excite me. At work today, we got our YMCA Wellness at Work gym towel, water bottle and gym bag. You see, I bought a Gaiam bag that held my yoga mat and was the perfect size. Well, I never used it (because I wanted to see what my free Y bag would be like), so I will have to return that bag and keep this YMCA one. The Y one ended up being a great size and of really nice quality.
Off to watch the election results for a little bit. Hope you all voted!